Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Creating

Have you ever fell into that trap of comparision?! Well, I sure did this weekend..if you read my last post, you will see some result of my trap...blogs, scrapbooking, pretty much all crafty/creative projects. I realized usually the talents others have that I am jealous of and have tried (halfheartedly at times) to improve in myself. Then Sunday, I was asked to be on a panel for the Young Women talking about the divine role as a woman and how I have found joy in being a woman (thats a whole funny story in of itself - wasn't I the tomboy and the least homemaker creative type girl?!)which the talk given by President Uchtdorf (2008 Relief Society General Broadcast) titled
"Happiness, Your Heritage" was brought up. What an inspiring talk! I loved it then and when I read it in the Ensign and again Sunday, it just was perfect! He talks about how as women sometimes we "undervalue [our] abilities - [we] focus on what is lacking or imperfect rather than what has been accomplished and who [we] really are... The good news is that this also points to an admirable quality : the innate desire to please the Lord to the best of [your] ability. Unfortunately, it can also lead to frustration, exhaustion and unhappiness." He goes on to ask "What is our Heavenly Father's happiness?" Well, we know His goals are to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man..."He is able to accomplish these two great goals...because He is a God of creation and compassion." Now- girls, we are awesome at these two things! We are partners with God in creation of human life! And really, who is more compassionate of the sexes? (TYPICALLY-us right?!) President Uchtdorf goes on to say "everyone can create." If you say, like I did, I am not the creative type (see the above paragraph) he goes on to say "Remember you are spirit daughters of the most creative Being in the universe....Think about it-your spirit body is a masterpiece, created with beauty, function, and a capacity beyond imagination."
And why were we created? 2Nephi2:25 to have JOY!!! And one way is by creating things. "Creation means bringing into existencesomething that did not exist before-colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter. What you create doesn't have to be perfect....Don't let the fear of failure discourage you. Don't let the voice of critics paralyze you-whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside." I hear that voice sometimes-don't you?
"If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it."
President Utchdorf's message was fantastic and I encourage you to read the full article - pg 117 in the Nov. 08 Ensign or go to www.lds.org It helped me to share this (hey, I just created something!) so I hope you enjoy your day and create something new! (leave a comment and it will create a smile on my face!)

1 comment:

Mrs. Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing, that talk has helped me a ton too! I enjoy reading up on your family. Good luck with the upcoming internship. I hope it's not too hard on you guys to be apart.